Remote work has been taking off in the last decade, driven by wider internet connectivity and new collaboration tools that make it possible to work together across the globe. This allows remote employees the freedom to live where they choose while still contributing to a larger organization. Remote-only organizations such as Automattic, Zapier, and Gitlab are fully embracing the remote mentality — and demonstrating it can scale successfully.
If you are considering going remote or managing a team remotely, I encourage you to become informed about the trends, examples, and resources available. Here are some of my favorites.
- The Yonder Podcast - Yonder is for people looking to make their remote teams operate more smoothly or to understand how others are innovating in this new space. The interviews are wide-ranging and contain great insights from successful remote companies.
- Distributed - A new podcast with Matt Mullenweg, the leader of Automattic (the company behind internet giant WordPress). His company is a leader in the remote space, with over 900 fully-remote employees.
- Running Remote - A well-made podcast shining light into the minds and methods currently behind remote organizations.
- The Remote Show - A podcast from the website We Work Remotely, the Remote Show finds and interviews some of the most influential CEOs and thinkers in the remote space.
- Collaboration Superpowers - Interviews, tips, tricks, and inspiration for remote teams.
Books and E-books
- Remote: Office Not Required by Jason Fried - Remote makes a strong case for the future of remote work and its advantages.
- The Ultimate Guide to Remote Work by Zapier - This e-book focuses on tools, hiring, culture, communication, and other details of creating effective remote teams.
- No Excuses: The Definitive Guide to Managing a Remote Team by Hubstaff - A comprehensive guide by Hubstaff on hiring, outsourcing, and managing remote teams.
- The Year with no Pants by Scott Berkun - A look into the unique work culture at Automattic (the company behind WordPress), and what drives their success as a remote-first company.
- Remote Work Handbook by Infinite Red - Advice for working, hiring, scaling and leading in a fully remote company.
- Remote Company Culture Guide for the Slack Generation by the Ahoy Team - How to develop a positive company culture when working remotely.
- FlexJobs Blog - A rich resource for people interested in any type of flexible work. The blog is frequently updated with new tips and info for remote workers.
- Remote.co Blog - Consistently good advice for freelancers and remote job seekers. The site also features a company Q&A which interviews leading remote companies.
- Hubstaff Blog - Smart articles addressing different aspects of remote teams.
- We Work Remotely Blog - A well-curated blog with all things remote-work related.
- Virtual Vocations Blog - Tips and tricks for effective remote workers.
Surveys and Data
- State of Remote Work by Buffer - An annual report by Buffer and its partners regarding the current state of Remote work. This is a great way to understand remote work trends.
- The Remote Work Report - An in-depth report about remote working, with a lot of insights and statistics.
- The IWG Global Workplace Survey - A survey detailing the shift to flexible working within the last 20 years.
- TSheets Remote Work Survey - A survey with insights into the reasons some people prefer to work from home.
- Virtual Vocations Statistics and Surveys - Reports focused on providing detailed data and analysis of areas related to telecommuting.
Tools and Resources
- NoDesk - A curated collection of remote articles, tools, and communities.
- Remote.tools - A neat website with software and tools for your remote team.
- Remote Starter Kit - A toolkit with battle-tested remote tools to adopt into your workflow.
- NoHQ Remote Work Toolkit - A collection of software and services to assist remote teams.
- GitLab Remote Work Resources - An open-source resource list by fully-remote company GitLab.
Thanks for reading! If you have additional resources feel free to leave a comment below.